Friday, September 26, 2008

Parachute or Potato Sack

September 21...

Before I begin let make a disclaimer: Both long term and short term missions/development projects are valid, do good things and help people.

And now that you pretty well know what this post is about, let me explain. The group from the UK that was here last week gave me lots to think about. They were on a short-term trip in Tanzania (a couple of weeks) and I, by contrast, will be here for three months (It should also be noted that the length of time a development project lasts is completely relative and so for some my three month trip could easily be classified as a short-term project). So I'd like to just compare my trip to the two week trip.

It was very interesting for me to watch how the people from the UK acted in this country knowing that they were only here for a few weeks and were in a sense parachuted into the life of Tanzania. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something in me felt slightly uncomfortable with some of the things that happened. Don't get me wrong, the group was incredibly kind and generous and worked hard to be gracious to their hosts at all times and very much accomplished that goal. I just felt a bit strange, knowing that what they said and did would have long lasting impacts on this community, but that they would not be here to witness those affects. And I really must admit that I missed moving around and interacting with Tanzanian communities outside of the Wingfields' presence. I think that's because though Andrew and Miriam are foreigners in a foreign land and always will be, they are so much more integrated into the life and culture of Tanzania than anyone who has been here two weeks (or three months).




When I am with the Wingfields and interacting with people in Iringa or Kilolo there is a different feeling transmitted; something that can only come from living here long-term. It's a respect for the people and places you see and know that can only develop over months and years. And to be honest I'm really just coasting on that sense of commitment developed by the Wingfields. Again, I've only been here two weeks and barely speak the language. I've developed no great report with people but I suppose it's the knowledge that I will be here for a season and will try and develop those relationships and intimate knowledge of the culture and people of Tanzania that makes me feel different; maybe even good?

But don't worry, I certainly won't get full of myself. I have daily experiences that humble me: particularly when I try local survival techniques like using a potato sack filled with straw acting as insulation to keep my shower water warm over night: it didn't work. I had the worst shower of my life that morning. So clearly I have a lot to learn. But I'm glad I'll be here a while to learn it.

Plenty of time to perfect the use of a potato sack and not a parachute.

No comments: