Monday, September 8, 2008

Catching Up




September 7...

I need to make up for lost time. A lot of things have happened over the last few days so I'll do my best to recall most of what's happened. Since the last entry, I've met Miriam and Ben; the family of Andrew Wingfield. They are both fantastic. Miriam is probably the most positive person I know and she is a joy to be around. Her constant warmth and hospitality has made adjusting to Tanzanian life far easier and both she and Andrew have been amazingly helpful and kind. I could not ask for a better support system in Tanzania.

Getting familiar with Iringa has been my task these last couple of days before I go for my first visit to Kilolo and St. Michael's. On my first full day here (Saturday) Miriam took me to the market in Iringa and showed me around the down town. The market was a wonderful display of fresh produce and was a buzz of activity. The food is all piled on tables where the vendors sit on top surrounded by their goods and deal with customers. There is always room to barter and Miriam is as experienced as any Tanzanian in the ways of negotiation. She is also quite capable of conversing in Swahili and does so with ease; something I greatly admire.

Later, Andrew and Ben (now just over a year old) met up with Miriam and I at a great little cafe that is operated by the Anglican Diocese. It's designed to give employment opportunities to Iringa's disabled and so serves excellent food while selling unique handicrafts in the attached shop. The cafe itself is on the second floor allowing customers to sit and watch over the edge of the wall down below as workers create their goods. It was really very fascinating as the men and women worked various looms and sat sewing.

Then that night the Wingfields and I travelled down out of Iringa to a nearby dairy farm where every Saturday, and English speaking family hosts a little get together where volleyball is the main attraction and friends can catch up on all the latest news. I tried my hand at volleyball and was able to hold my own against a few very skilled players (an accomplishment I attribute entirely to my above average height). After the game we returned home and relaxed by watching an episode of Quantum Leap. I'd forgotten about that show, but was quickly reminded of its classic appeal. Time travel plus classic moral message equals one great half hour (albeit a bit cheesy). Then Andrew and I went to the bus terminal to pick up my luggage that arrived that evening by bus.

When we first arrived and scouted out the situation it wasn't apparent that the even had my luggage. The bus had parked about three feet away from another bus and there was no electric lights to speak of; certainly not enough to shine on the undercarriage of the bus where the cargo was stored. Imagine then five or six people crammed between the buses all looking for their luggage in the dark night and speaking a language which I barely understand. Thankfully, Andrew's Swahili is impeccable and with the help of a cell phone casting its blue light we were able to get my luggage. As soon as we got back to the house I rummaged through my bags and put on my warmest sweatshirt – it gets pretty cold here at night!

Then today we all went to English speaking church which happens on the first and third Sunday of each month. It was nice to be able to worship in English, but Miriam assures me that they will take me to a Swahili church soon which should help with my language absorption. Later we all went for a walk around the block with little Ben in the stroller (which appears to me to be more of an off-road model than anything I've seen in Canada). We also stopped in to visit with some friends of Andrew and Miriam – Hope and Mama (something). Apparently, when a mother has a child in Tanzania they gain a new name: Mama whatever. So to many people in town Miriam is now Mama-Benjamin. The visit was really nice but it was a reminder of how little Swahili I know. I sat quietly for the most part, smiling at everyone and having either Andrew or Miriam translate everything that was being said. I hope to one day be able to converse at a basic level with Swahili speakers but I know it will take practice. So far I know that “Asanta Sana” means thank you very much. Karibo is a welcome greeting (which has various responses). And there are plenty of other phrases I'm going to have to pick up. In the meantime, I'll continue to smile a lot and hopefully I won't offend anyone too much.

4 comments:

Chris Lewis said...

i'm so proud of you! i'll tuck paul in tonight for you.

Mom said...

Jay, I love this! It sounds like you're getting a real education yourself. I look forward to learning Swahili from you when you get home.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Wow. 2 things...
1) You are an amazing writer and I will be pitching your blog as a book deal to some Christian Publishing companies.
2) I would have already cried myself to sleep twice and peed my pants about the rat thing. However, it is amazing to hear all the stuff you are seeing and experiencing. Keep us updated so we can pray informed for you.

Love you and be strong.

Jeff, Lori, Aidan & Abby

Michael Penney said...

JASON!

Okay so I can't really accept that you are in Africa right now - I feel like you are making up this bizzare blog from your 'charming' house at Bayview and Cummer. But I guess you've included pictures so I have to believe it. I read this post before but the pictures didn't come up, so now that I can see them, I can comment. I'm very visual as you know. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that other people (like the lip-biting Chris) are reading this...

Okay, back to the pictures. Holy mother! They look so nice! The house looks super charming and cool how its built into the hill like that. And I am really into old, boxy, utility-type vehicles right now (think 80's Jeep) and so I love the truck in the garage. Do you drive around in that? Lucky!
Also the surrounding landscape looks beautiful and especially different, which is why I love it. And there's a hammock! You love those! I guess you had to travel to another continent to get one that doesn't swing into a tree!
Make sure you take lots of pictures and collect anything you can to bring home. If that house is the place you'll be on the weekends it seems really nice and relaxing. And posh - might I add - compared to the no electricity bucket flush system. I guess your blue tile and soap scum bathroom at home is looking very House & Home now isn't it?

Speaking of which, I have to go to a meeting on an entertaining story I just shot, so biiieeee (Aunty Chris).