Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Good things come in little packages

September 9...

I used to hate earplugs. Those stupid little spongy things were uncomfortable, weird looking and really didn't work for me. In fact, when I did put them in to dampen the ambient sound I found myself more irritated by the sound of my own heartbeat thumping in my head. Effectively, I resigned myself never to use earplugs.

Then I came to Africa.

Ok well maybe Africa has nothing to do with it. But since being here I have found a new love for those great little do-dads the fit snugly in my ear and block out all sound (except for the heartbeat, that's still there.) The Wingfields have a beautiful home. But it's guarded by the loudest dogs I have ever heard. And they're not just loud. They make the most unholy noise I've ever heard. It's like combining the evil sound made by those creatures in the movie the Village with the howls of an elk in heat. Throw in a little blender noise, and you've got an idea of what this sounds like. It's awful and it could keep you up all night. Added to that, the Wingfields have a beautiful little 1 year old: Ben. He's so sweet, but he's got pipes that would make Pavarotti and Celine jealous. Therefore, I am extremely grateful for a mother's wise words that gave the universal advice: “just in case you need them”.

Outside of sleep, my day in Iringa was filled with selecting stored furniture that will find a new home in my room at St. Michael's. A seven foot bed was decided upon for this tall Canadian. Apparently, I'm really tall in Africa too. Go figure.

Miriam and I also visited the home of some nuns in Iringa who make a variety of food for sale that beats the market prices and tastes delicious. I bought some Pear jam and tomato sauce and have every intention of going back tomorrow to buy some pasta. As I said, it's all home made Italian food (by Italians no less) and costs less than the market. For example, my jam and two bottles of tomato sauce cost 3000 Tanzanian shillings. That's about 3 bucks Canadian!

My day also had me studying Swahili again with my patient teacher Betty. It's coming along, but now I remember why I stopped taking French in grade nine. Learning a language is hard! Let's just say I can start a conversation in Swahili all right, but after I've asked how your morning, afternoon and evening was I'm at a loss. More study is needed I'm afraid. Thankfully, the students I'll be teaching speak English. I really only need Swahili for the market. Let's hope I figure out how to say, “can I have my change?” which I think is “changi”.

Then I ended the day with bible study at a local couples house in Iringa. Second Chronicles. King Jehoshaphat. Very interesting guy. Great name. I'm going to try and do like him and just trust God to solve my problems both in Tanzania and Canada. It sure beats trying to fix them myself.

9 comments:

C.D. Clements said...

Unazungumza Kiswahili?

Secondly, what is your middle initial?

Jason said...

First: I'm not sure what you said in Swahili. Are you asking if I teach or speak Swhaili?

Second: The middle initial is Jason.

Jason said...

I mean Robert. That's the middle initial. I'm beginning to forget what I used to know as Shwahili takes more space in my brain.

Sabrina Rose said...

Glad you got to your destination in one piece. We're praying for you at W/C. We are putting your blog link in the bulletin so people can see what you're up to and connect with you.

God Bless,

Sabrina

Living August said...

Jay it's good to hear that you're still tall in Africa! Also cool to see how God is even now preparing you in compassion as you have been getting ready to teach English. As you struggle through learning Swahili, you know exactly how your students will feel about learning English!

I'm so excited for you. What an adventure!

Unknown said...

Whoa! Love the pictures in the last post! I am glad you are doing fine and I like readng your blog entries every morning as I get into work. They are uplifting and entertianing :) I swear I thought you said you bought some Pearl jam which made me go "Holy Crap! Steve (Wagar) they have a thing called pearl jam in tanzania and my brother bought some!" Then I re-read it. He he.

Take care, stay in touch and let us know what to pray for.

Love Jeff, Lori, Aidan & Abby

Michael Penney said...

I thought you said Pearl Jam too.

irish lass said...

Hey Jason!
Thanks for keeping this blog about your wonderful adventure! Glad to hear your brothers are just as crazy as ever (pear(l) jam!? And glad too that you appreciate your mom's advice in a new way (ear plugs). Roy and I are praying for you, and will be reading your updates with great interest. Love you!

Joyce and Spencer Mouland said...

Jason, I am so pleased that you have allowed the Lord to work so beautifully in your life. We will follow your blog and pray for you daily.

Blessings,