Monday, November 24, 2008

New Time Zones and Old Favourites

November 24...

I'm back! Back home in good old, freezing cold Canada. Man it's cold here. But to be completely honest, I'm kind of enjoying the temperature. It's really very refreshing...for about 10 minutes. And before I got to Toronto, I had the pleasure of landing in Amsterdam and spending a few hours in that beautiful city with my friend Lieneke, who I met in Tanzania and who lives in that coastal country. And while it wasn't quite as cold as Toronto, the brisk air and snow on the ground was good preparation for the real thing: the Canadian winter. My travel was as comfortable as I could have asked for and I arrived safely in Toronto a few days ago.





I've been asked a few times since I arrived the obvious questions about how my trip was and of course most people realize it is impossible to sum up such an experience in a few sentences. I can honestly say that is was an amazing, life-changing adventure where I learned more about myself and the world in which I live and have come to know and trust in God much more.

Ok, so I guess that is pretty good for a sentence. But other questions have been asked like if I notice the difference in life here in Canada. Again, there is an obvious difference, but I think it is the subtle things that are more profound. And I think it will take a long time before I fully appreciate all that I saw and did over there. As life continues to move ahead here in Canada I suspect that the little things like, taking transit, or eating in restaurants and even watching tv will slowly reveal to me the differences in life in Canada and Tanzania.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank all of you who read my blog while I was away and for the many encouraging and positive comments I received here. They really were lovely to read and often buoyed my spirit on low days, so I thank all of you for that. I also want to thank all of you who prayed and kept me in your thoughts while I was away. I can't explain fully how it felt to know that I was being held in prayer by family and friends at all times; it was wonderful though. I hope that you will continue to pray for me as I make my way through life and I will try my best to do the same for you, my family and friends.

God used me on this trip for His purposes and I know that. It was a phenomenal experience that came with its share of hard times and disappointments. But through it all God was good as He always is. I am thankful and look forward to the next adventure He sends me on.

No comments: