Thursday, November 6, 2008

Down By the River

November 3...

There is a language school just outside of Iringa that many ex-pats attend to help develop their Kswahili so they can better serve in their positions here in Tanzania. The school itself is situated on the Little Ruaha river and designed as a camp-site based school.

Besides language school, they also have the facilities for people to come and camp which the Wingfields have done before. Or, if you just want to spend a day relaxing, you can come for a meal and swim in the river; which is what we did.

The food was incredible. I ate too much. But it was too good for moderation. Then after lunch, the Wingfields and I went down to the river for a swim. I realized after upon entering the water, that I had never swam in a river before. I guess I've just always been around lakes. Anyway, the river was excellent. It had a strong current that was great fun to swim in.

Hopefully the pictures will help you get an idea of what it looked like. And though it may not look it, there were some deep parts where I couldn't touch the bottom and where you had to fight against the current of the water. There were also some great rocky out-crops where I just sat and watched the river flow past me.






I am continually amazed at God's beauty reflected in nature. Maybe I just didn't notice it as much back home, or maybe it's because I'm usually surrounded by concrete buildings and row upon row of housing that I miss the beauty in nature. It's everywhere here and I love it. I feel constantly amazed at God's handiwork and feel privileged to experience it as I have.

If you feel like I did back home, buried by urban infrastructure, take a walk in the woods or a garden. You don't have to be surrounded by mountains to feel God's grandeur; take a deep look at the nature around you and feel God's presence there.

It's worth your time. Believe me.

1 comment:

Cannot Cook said...

JASON'S ODYSSEY

Dear Jason,

Having known you forever....my perception of you has always been that you were a compassionate, fun loving and caring young Christian.

I have been following and enjoying your "adventures" and "spiritual growth" through your blog. I must say that you have grown into a very observant and mature young man. My first impressions of you have remained unchanged.

I know how proud your family is of you...and rightly so.

I agree with your "mentor", Donald Miller...."you will have changed".....These few months away are going to change you as nothing else up to this point in your life has.

Hallowe'en has just recently passed here. As I gave out treats to the local children I was reflecting and remembering when you, your brothers and my girls would dress up and go through my neighbourhood collecting candy and making your childhood memories. We are a very blessed country and community. There are so many opportunities for us to share in so many ways. We can give financial aid, spiritual witnessing, practical assistance...that proverbial "helping hand", etc.

Thank you for following through and doing what you have felt called to do and including "us" in your journey!

I will continue to pray for you AND read your blog.

May God Bless you and keep you safe.
Lots of love,
"Aunt" Paulette